Direct Access - Checklist
Before booking your motorcycle training course you should be aware of the main reasons most new bikers get into trouble.
- Inability to corner correctly............... This can be addressed with thorough understanding of counter steering.
- Lack of quality motorcycle training........... ...Too many new riders are given very basic instruction without really understanding the vital areas required to stay alive.
- No enough time to practise and build confidence..........New riders need space to practise at their own pace.
- Poor slow control - especially at junctions.....................Clutch control is vital for smooth progress out of junctions.
- Lack of ability to brake in corners between 40 - 70mph......This is essential to avoid collisions mid corner.
- Feeling pushed out onto public roads too early.....New riders should not feel pushed onto public roads before they are ready
Circuit Based Training's direct access motorbike course will help you understand and master these vital areas of riding a bike. Based at Mallory Park Racing Circuit we have the largest, most versatile and best equipped direct access motorbike training facilities in the UK. We offer our clients bespoke, flexible motorcycle training packages that suit every individual. The emphasis is on having fun while learning to ride a motorbike, but more importantly, making sure we produce really good riders rather than just scraping through the bike test.
Everybody appreciates that you need room and time to practice when you learn to ride a motorbike, BEFORE embarking onto public roads, let us give you the motorbike training you deserve with the quality of instruction required to be confident and safe.
Call us on 01455 840645 if you need advice. As a guide, we would suggest the following;
4 Day course = Good experience of riding large motorcycles
5 Day course = No or limited motorcycle experience.
9 Day course = No motorcycle experience - Steady pace with no pressure
14 Day course = No motorcycle experience - Ultra Steady for those with plenty of time
Please note, you will have to pass your motorcycle theory test before attending your course. Call 0300 200 1122 or go online to www.dvsa.gov.uk to book. Always carry your driving licence while on the course. DVSA rule is No licence = No Test
Hazard avoidance motorcycle training at Mallory Park
During your motorbike training the hazard avoidance test is delivered on track at speeds of up to 60mph for all clients. You can practice accelerating up to speed in 2nd or 3rd gear to decide which will give you the best drive. You can then try this test, on track at speeds of 30mph - 45mph until you find your personal limit (we topped out at 65mph) It's easy when you know how to counter steer and by the end of day your first day you'll know what we mean!
Further motorcycle training on inclines is included in the off road element, which is ideal preperation for the bike test, as not all roads are flat! Once you (and we) are confident you've got it, we'll transfer these skills on to the road.
All of our students who learn to ride a motorbike, are actively encouraged to take advantage of the extensive facilities on offer at Mallory Park.
This enables all clients to experience:
- Correct use of brakes to perform emergency stops at up to 65 mph. (this will be twice the speed of the one on test)
- Counter-steering to enable students to safely negotiate bends and corners at road legal speeds.
- Use of the racing circuit to get up to the speeds needed for dual carriageway/motorway riding.
- Higher speeds also enable our clients to experience road and weather conditions and the feeling of vulnerability BEFORE they go out on the open road.
- Hill starts, U Turns (both uphill and downhill) braking on bends and realistic left and right turns.
- Module 1 "hazard avoidance" practice every day.
- Proper use of gears to obtain realistic rates of acceleration.
The extra experience and machine control that this allows ensures that our clients are fully prepared before going anywhere near a public road. This makes the whole learning experience more enjoyable for both client and instructor. It also means that maximum progress is possible as all the basics have been covered in far greater depth.
We will ensure you become a safe, confident and competent rider by providing an environment where you can learn at your own pace . All our courses include CBT (If required), bike hire (600-1250cc), use of the race track, clothing and on bike video analysis.Everybody recognises the need to practice the hazard avoidance test in a safe, controlled environment. At Mallory park we have the facilities to duplicate the module 1 test, giving you the ability to pass confidently at the end of your course. Passing this test gives you your full motorcycle licence enabling you to ride any size motorcycle. You can practice each element of the module 1 test, including the hazard avoidance every day on track or in the paddock. It's easy when you know how to counter steer and by the end of your first day you'll know what we mean!
Before taking to public roads, you can accelerate through all six gears and brake at speeds of up to 80mph, as well as gaining full tuition regarding cornering on the race track.